The following general points of advice have been compiled from professional college advisors:
- Work with your teachers and school counselor to design the most challenging course of study that works best for you, and do your best in your high school courses. Discuss with your school counselor options available at your high school that you might be interested in, such as Honors, AP, IB, and Concurrent Enrollment classes.
- Prepare beyond taking college preparatory and/or advanced classes and getting good grades. Gain job experience, and participate in school clubs, leadership activities, volunteer work, and community service.
- Explore careers through such activities as internships, apprenticeships, and shadowing.
- Understand the difference between high school and college.
- Match your strengths, interests, and abilities with potential college majors and careers.
- Develop good academic habits.
- Take advantage of opportunities from local and other colleges. Do your research by learning about colleges that interest you and visiting college campuses.
Information and Resources
Study Tips & Exam Preparation
- 10 study methods for college-bound students
- 6 top study tips for high school students
- Free online classes at DavidsonNext
- Free online classes at Khan Academy
College Planning Tools
- Getting ready for college starts right now!
- Free online college planning tools
- College prep tips
- How college is different from high school
- High-school classes colleges look for
- Easing your fears: college students share their experiences
Choosing A College: Considering Value Based On Your Interests
- College campus explorer
- College selection at College Factual
- U.S. Department of Education's college scorecard
- U.S. News college ranking resource
- 20 helpful college search tips
Opportunities Provided By The University Of Pittsburgh
- College in High School: a way for high school students to take college courses in their high schools
- Accelerated High School: a way for high school students to take college courses at the University of Pittsburgh
- K-12 Connector: a searchable database of all opportunities at the University of Pittsburgh
- Investing Now: a college preparatory program for students from historically underrepresented groups in math, science, technology, and engineering
- The Bridge College Prep and Leadership Academy: a summer college preparatory program for rising juniors and seniors
Opportunities Provided By Other Institutions
Visiting College Campuses
- Pitt campus tours
- 10 tips for an effective college visit
- Advice for parents and high school students on visiting colleges
Paying For College
- Financial Aid information resource
- How to apply for Federal Student Aid
- College scholarship finder
- Micro-scholarship earning resource
- 12 best ways to find college scholarships
- "Are you a smart borrower?" Funding college
- Scholarships for students from military families
Applying To College
- How to write a resume for college
- High school resume examples and writing tips
- Applying to Pitt (Pitt CHS students can have their application fee waived!)
- College search, application and preparation advice
Transferring College Credits